Have you been thinking about advertising on Facebook or Instagram?
Instagram alone has over 2 billion monthly active users. If you want to gain more customers or clients, then using ads is the way to go.
Here’s what you need to know about Instagram and Facebook ad specs before you get started.
Ads on Instagram work slightly different than on Facebook. There are also various types of ads you can use on Instagram depending on the type of advertising you would like to do.
Here’s a bit more about each.
Single Image Ads
The most popular type of Instagram advertising is the single-image ad. This has one image, a caption, and a call to action. The call to action is typically part of a button that you can click on.
For a single-image ad, these are the specs you’ll need to know about:
- The caption can be up to 125 characters
- Recommended image size is 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Image format can be in .jpg or .png
- Max. file size is 30 MB
Carousel ads allow you to show up to 10 images or videos on one post. Users can scroll from one to the other to see various things you are advertising.
You would want to use these when you are:
- Creating a story
- Showing your brand
- Showing various promoted offers
- Offer more but lower your ad costs
Here are some specs to know about. Some remain the same as a normal ad but a few things change such as:
- Minimum number of photos/videos: 2
- Maximum number: 10
- Ratio: 1:1
- Minimum video length: 3 seconds
- Maximum video length: 60 seconds
In addition to these types of ads, there are also video ads and stories ads. They work relatively in the same way as the others with similar specs.
There are two different ways you can show ads on Facebook. You can do story ads and in-feed ads. Here’s what you need to know.
News Feed Ad Specs
For ads in the news feed, there are a few important things to note. They are:
- Recommended image size: 1200 x 628 or 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Recommended aspect ratio is between 9:16 to 16:9
- Recommended image formats: JPG and PNG
- Images should not have more than 20% text
You should also note the length of captions:
- Text length: max 125 characters
- Headline length: max 25 characters
- Link description length: max 30 characters
You can use carousel ads in the news feed as well, but the specs are the same as Instagram and the above Facebook image sizes.
With story ads, this is what people will see come across the top on stories. Here’s what you need to know:
- Cannot add extra text
- Full-screen vertical ad (9:16)
- Recommended size: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- File types: JPG, PNG
- Max. image size: 30MB
- Visible for 5 seconds
Instagram and Facebook Ad Specs
Now that you know a bit more about Instagram and Facebook ad specs, you can go ahead and get started with your marketing campaigns! You can choose each one specifically with your campaign in mind.
If you need help with social media advertising, we can help you! You can contact us at Bloom Digital Marketing today!